Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sheesh, that was quite the storm...


Yip, we got hit hard here in Nova Scotia with the Hurricane Noel. We lost our power early hours of Saturday morning, and didn't get our power back until last night at supper time but was worried and heard rumours that it might not have gotten back on until Thursday. Well, I am not back being toasty warm again, kind of a chilly weekend since my hubby bought a lemon generator that spewed oil out the pull chord. So luckily the store he got it from had one left yesterday morning, and so he ran out and got it :)!



The winds were insane, I think our winds here got to 150 and I thought our windows in our house were going to blow in like in the movies. When we got up in the morning we saw the damage on our property, it looks like a bomb went off in the back yard...over 60 trees down and our fence broke into many pieces. The waves (wish I got a pic of these waves) were like 12 m high out here, I could hear the waves from my house and they sounded like a few freight trains going by. We are here, we are safe but we are just very tired from our lack of sleep over the weekend...and am really just wanting to stay in my pj's all day in bed. I unfortunately have my son's first Parent teacher interview tonight at 6:40 p.m., any advice about these meetings??





This first picture is part of my fence just off our deck in the backyard, and with a few of the trees down around it. This deck is attached to the deck in several places, and so we are lucky that we didn't loose our deck too or that the fence didn't become airborn. I might head down towards Lawrence town in a little bit or this afternoon to take some pics for you of this beach and the damage that is there.

I said to my dh that if the winds kept up a lot longer than they did that we would probably have waterfront property now! About 20-30 feet from our poor fence straight back, has trees down and the ocean is like 10-20 more feet past that...




Here is a different angle of our backyard with our fence down...looks worse from this angle I think, and it gives you a better perspective.









2 comments:

Tracy.H said...

I glad to hear that you made it through okay. Although, looks like you have quite a bit of property damage. Hope repair costs are not too bad...it looks like it though.

Alissa said...

wow Cat, that's severe. how did the kids react?