Friday, November 2, 2007

Not listening...

For those of you who have children, just have a question for you all...I am wondering how you all dealt with or are dealing with your lovely non listening 3-4 year old children?? Why am I asking?? Well, don't worry I have a reason for asking...my middle child (son) he hasn't been doing well with listening at all but then again what 3-4 year old listens well?? It was a spur of the moment thing, but I took all his pacifiers (his baba's *that's what he calls them*) and told him he couldn't have his beloved baba's for the rest of the day. He was distraught, beside himself, his world ended!! He even came to me just at bedtime, and he said "mommy, I sorry for not listening to you...will listen and be a good boy!" I gave him a hug, and explained to him the importance of listening to mommy and daddy etc., then I tucked him into bed...and no he hadn't had any Halloween candy all day yesterday. So today we started out really well, then went downhill from there...when we were at the mall getting the rain coat I told him not to jump in the puddles in the parking lot because he didn't have boots on. He just ran over and jumped in both feet together! From there it got worse, I put a Spiderman 3 movie on hold at our local video store and figured I would get one for the boys to watch sometime over the weekend...so we got in the store, I paid for the Spiderman one...asked my son to pick one out...he did but then he wanted chips or anyother candy near that cash register. I explained to him we had enough candy at home from Halloween and chips too...but he just started screaming and stomping his feet. I took the movie from him, put it back, took his hand and led him out of the store calmly...he got his hand free from mine and took off back to the movie I had put back, then screamed louder. I took it and put it back again, telling him that we had to leave now that he was behaving like this...no movies for boys who behave like this. I had my dd in my arms, so I couldn't pick him up to leave the store...so luckily there was another lady there evidently another mother who took the movie from me and put it back. My son wouldn't go near her, and came with me out of the store, meanwhile I look back over my shoulder to the guy at the counter and he is laughing hysterically at us. I was quite upset by the time I got everyone buckled into the van...he has lost his pacifiers again for 2 days this time. Anyways, I thought I would ask you all what you did when your little one's wouldn't listen and threw fits in public??

3 comments:

Tracy.H said...

You are not alone. It happens. I am one of the lucky ones that this has not happened to that often. I think you did the right thing. Staying calm and leaving without the movie was a good choice. You just do the best you can...stay strong Mom...you will get through it! :0)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Tracy. Unlike her though this happens to me a lot. You did the right thing and the key is consistency. Hang in there, it will get easier.

Alissa said...

Just so you know Cat, you amaze me. My constant refrain is "how does Catherine do it?" (I'm only a mom of two and one spends 4 out of 5 days at daycare) -- anyway, staying calm while a 3 yearold takes a fit in public is way more than difficult. You did well. One thing I've been reading is that consequences (taking bubbas) don't necessarily work at this age because the child doesn't have the mental development to realize that the same behaviour will generate the same response. However, I can't see an alternative and I figure the only way they will learn that the same behaviour WILL generate the same response, is by seeing that happen.