Monday, December 10, 2007

My first altered tin



The other day a catty came in the mail for my dh, the catty was for a store called Princess Auto...it has everything imaginable in this place which is probably something you wouldn't think with a name like that. Anyways, I was looking through this catty and I found larger tins that everyone has been using for their advent calendars :D but I wasn't sure how much bigger...so I sent my dh on a mission. He called me on Friday afternoon when he was on his way home he stopped in at this store to check it out for me, sure enough these tins are about a size of a can of soup or Jam jar. I was thrilled to pieces because this was the exact size that I was looking for :)! They wanted $1.88 each for these larger tins, going to send my dh back there to get me more, he only got me 6 the other day but I don't know how long they will be $1.88 :).


Saturday night, I was over at Julie's house babysitting her 2 dd's and I brought all my crafty things along with since I had to get 2 of these tins altered and 2 cards made for Sunday afternoon. So I used the SU patterned paper called Wintergreen for the sides of the tins, that I measured and cut out...then had to re-cut 2 more times. I then cut out 2 pieces of scrap Bravo Burgandy and Mellow Moss cardstock small rectangles, I used the ticket punches on the corners, then I attached the two colors together using some super tacky tape and some mini pop dots. Next, I cut out some white cardstock in a small rectangle, I then stamped the "Flaky Friends" stamp set tag onto the white cardstock and then I attached it to the other two layers using the mini dots. I cut out a circle out of some dark green cardstock, then I stamped the large Jolie's Fleurs flower stamp onto some white cardstock. I colored in my flower using my Tombow red and green markers, making the flower look like a Christmas flower (I stamped out several flowers and colored them in differently until I came up with the style I liked best). Next, I attached the flower to the circle using the mini pop dots and then I sort of bent up the edges of the petals of the flower. I also got some light green "Straight 'n' Narrow" ribbon from Michael's that was on sale the other day, and thought that it would be the perfect ribbon to use on this tin. I put the ribbon on one tin just below the lip of the lid, then the second tin I altered I put the ribbon on the lid of the tin and to be honest both places looked great with the ribbon where I had put it.

I made these tins for two of my dh's cousins for Christmas, I thought these tins filled up with the Christmas M&M's would be perfect for them! I am going to make some more tins today, and some more cards too. I will post these as I make them :)!

Hope all of you are staying warm, and that you had a great weekend :)!

0 comments: